Tuesday, July 15, 2014

THE DAILY MAIL ... HEALTH QUIZ .. JULY 14TH 2014 ..

Joan Collins under the microscope
Actress Joan Collins OBE, answers our health quiz

 

What's your fitness regimen?
 
I stretch first thing, use free weights and do 100 crunches and sit-ups every day. If I'm in London or LA, I do an hour of similar exercises with my personal trainers three times a week. But I don't believe in 'no pain, no gain'. Over a certain age you have to take it easy, but use every part of your body.
Joan, 81, uses free weights and does 100 crunches and sit-ups every day

Get your five a day?

Sometimes. I started this morning with orange juice, gluten-free bread and marmalade, but that doesn't count. Every day I have an avocado, broccoli, carrots, mango and salad for lunch.

Worry about your weight?

No, but there's no way I'd let myself go from a size eight to a ten (I'm 5ft 5in) so I'll cut down on chocolates, won't finish everything on my plate, and avoid toast at breakfast, and puddings if my trousers get too tight.

Any Vices?

I'm in the South of France right now and like the local rosé. I love food: last night I had two scoops of ice cream.

Any family ailments?

My father died of old age at 83 - a pretty good innings for someone born in 1906. Sadly my mother died in her 50s from breast cancer. It's made me careful about checking myself.
There's no way she would let herself go from a size eight to a ten
While doing panto in Birmingham about four years ago, I got swine flu. I fainted and had to be held up on stage. I had to stay in bed for five days. Now I avoid shaking hands because I believe it's the biggest way to spread diseases. In 1980, I was doing a play in Guildford and the steps backstage weren't visible so I fell and fractured my left elbow - it still gives me a lot of pain. Six or seven years ago on stage in Canada, another actress inadvertently kicked me and broke a finger on my right hand. It still hurts sometimes - another reason I dislike shaking hands.

Ever had plastic surgery?

Once I had Botox but left halfway through and said I'd never have it again. It was so painful, and I wasn't keen on having poison injected into my forehead. I've seen too many disasters - people with too high cheekbones, wonky eyes and lips too filled out. One way I take care of my skin is with products from my beauty range, Joan Collins Timeless Beauty.

Pop any pills?

Vitamin E for my skin, D for my bones strong and C, for the immune system. I also take MSM [methyl sulfonyl methane, a sulphur compound found in plants] for suppleness.

Had anything removed?

My tonsils as a child. I remember being allowed to eat as much ice cream as I wanted, which was thrilling.

Hangover cure?

A full English breakfast and coffee.

Biggest phobias?

I'm terrified of snakes. My son had one once, but I didn't let it go near me.

Like to live forever?

Having your friends, children and grandchildren die before you is a terrible thought. I'd like to live to 100.
Joan Collins is supporting Champneys #inspireTHEnation campaign in association with the Pink Ribbon Foundation.. www.champneys.com

No comments: