Monday, April 12, 2010

'Jeans, darling? Frankly, I hate them. And as for wearing them at the Ritz...' Why Joan Collins can't stand denim


When I heard that the Ritz Hotel was allowing people in for breakfast wearing jeans, I was surprised to say the least.  The Ritz, both in London and Paris, has been one of the last bastions of a civilised, elegant dress code, and even though it has specified that the jeans must be 'very, very smart' and no trainers are allowed, I can see standards going in the direction of all respectable establishments - downhill.  I haven't liked jeans for years - probably because their ubiquity has become terribly boring. Do people really want to conform to looking just like everyone else?

Yes, I know denim is hard-wearing and practical, but do the ladies who lunch really want to wear long-lasting utilitarian gear, teamed with chic Chanel or luxury leather on top, while showing off at the Ritz or smart restaurants such as San Lorenzo and the Wolseley?
A pencil skirt and opaque tights or simple dark trousers would look infinitely more elegant.

Read Joan Collins' full article in the Daily Mail online

No comments: